7.13.2013

Writing Sample for Graphic Design 1 class.



The Theta Story


By: Jason Embree
References (ehow.com and Wikipedia.com)


Hey, my name is Theta. WAIT…DON’T GO!  I am the 8th letter of the Greek alphabet.  I was born around the 15th century.  In my early years, I was written as a cross or x shape within a circle.  As time went on, I was then written as a line or point within a circle.  The point or dot was called a circumpunct.  I also have a half-brother that was a Cyrillic letter called Fita. (Put hand on the side of mouth) We don’t like to talk about him much.

In archaic times, I was used as a symbol for the Earth.  I was used for Celtic crosses too. I am used in economics, mathematics, and physics to name a few.  Some think that I am an unlucky number.  My symbol was used by judges on their ballots in passing condemnation onto a prisoner.  My symbol represented a warning of death too.  So it seems that I may be an intimidating letter, but I don’t think of myself as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment